- It means that I place the power of God's love far above the letter of the law.
- It means accepting people as they are, for who God made them, and celebrating their individual uniqueness.
- It means that some of the people I used to call friends are convinced I have a warm spot in Hell for leaving their little conservative flock and going to worship with 'those people'. But if they are right and all of my friends are going to Hell I don't care, because I'll be in far better company!
- It means I am proud to be a member of an open and affirming UCC congregation, and to spend my time with a widely diverse group of people - single, married, divorced, widowed, young, old, gay, straight, transgendered, rich, poor, and inbetween.
- It means serving lunch to the homeless and cleaning cages at the kitty shelter because God commands us to care for the people who can't care for themselves and to help those in need.
- It means respecting the science behind God's creation and knowing that there is still MUCH to learn. The more we learn about how the Universe works, the more amazing and miraculous the whole thing becomes.
- It means that God wants me to use my own intelligence when it comes to interpreting His will, not play a blindfolded game of 'follow the leader' because somebody with a piece of paper that says 'preacher' tells me they know better than me.
- It means working to FULLY become the person that God made me to be, whether that fits into somebody else's neat little pigeon hole or not.
- It means that I will never EVER tell somebody that God does not love them and care for them unless they change their ways.
- It means crying when I read or hear of yet another piece of blatant discrimination against the powerless.
- It means wishing I had more resources so I could do more to help other people... but doing as much as I can with what I have, and trusting God to provide for our basic needs - and so far He has.
Wednesday, December 7, 2011
I am a liberal Christian
What does that mean?